Barry L. Kaufman devotes his practice to family law, including Alternate Dispute Resolution (mediation and arbitration), and has been practicing law for more than 40 years. His practice is concentrated on family law matters involving complex financial issues, including valuation of businesses and professional practices, and high conflict child(ren)-related matters. He is committed to giving personal attention to each client and practical solutions in complicated situations, whether through resolution or litigation. As an experienced trial and appellate matrimonial law attorney, Barry prides himself on thorough preparation and attention to detail.
Barry serves as a Court-appointed and privately retained mediator/arbitrator and is often selected to mediate or arbitrate difficult or extremely contentious matters. Superior Court judges and fellow attorneys select Barry to arbitrate sensitive family law matters that require an astute understanding of the law. He is a lecturer for the New Jersey Institute of Continued Legal Education in Family Law.
Barry served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Harold M. Nitto in 1980-1981.
Awards and Recognition
Barry has been selected to the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers* (which is issued by Thomson Reuters) every year since 2007. A description of the selection methodology can be found by clicking here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Barry has also been recognized as a Family Law Mediator in The Best Lawyers in America* each year since 2011 in the areas of Matrimonial and Family Law and Alternate Dispute Resolution. The Best Lawyers in America* is published by Woodward/White, Inc. Barry has been rated “AV” (the highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell* since 1999. He has been included in the list of Bergen County’s “Top Lawyers” in (201) Magazine for the past six years.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Ithaca College, B.A., 1977
- New Jersey, 1980
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1980
- State of New Jersey District Fee Arbitration Committee (South Bergen) Chairperson 2002-2004
- Bergen County Bar Association Judicial Selection Committee, 2005-2008
- Bergen County Early Settlement Panel – Chairperson 1999-2002
- Bergen County Early Settlement Panel – Member 1981-1991
- North Jersey Family Law Inns of Court – Barrister 1993-1997, Master 2020-Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Member 1981-present
- Bergen County Bar Association – Member 1981-present
- New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators – Member 1998-2010
- Brawer v. Brawer, 329 N.J. Super. 273 (App. Div. 2000), cert. denied 165 N.J. 138 (2000)