Barry L. Kaufman was born on August 10, 1955. He was admitted to the New Jersey Bar and to the District Court of New Jersey in 1980.
He devotes his practice to family law, including Alternate Dispute Resolution (mediation and arbitration) and has been practicing law for more than 34 years. His practice is devoted to family law matters involving complex financial issues, including valuation of businesses and professional practices, and high conflict child(ren) related matters.
Mr. Kaufman graduated from Ithaca College (B.A.) in 1977 and obtained his law degree from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1980. He served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Harold M. Nitto from 1980-1981.
Mr. Kaufman is an experienced trial and appellate matrimonial law attorney who prides himself on thorough preparation and attention to detail. He has been selected to the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers* each year since 2007, which is issued by Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found by clicking here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Mr. Kaufman, as a matrimonial law attorney has also been recognized as a Family Law Mediator in The Best Lawyers in America* each year since 2011 in the areas of Matrimonial and Family Law and Alternate Dispute Resolution. The Best Lawyers in America* publication is issued by Woodward/White, Inc. A description of the selection methodology can be found by clicking here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Mr. Kaufman has been rated “AV” (the highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell* since 1999.
- State of New Jersey District Fee Arbitration Committee (South Bergen) Chairperson 2002-2004.
- Bergen County Bar Association Judicial Selection Committee (2005-2008).
- Bergen County Early Settlement Panel – Chairperson 1999-2002.
- Bergen County Early Settlement Panel – Member 1981-1991.
- North Jersey Family Law Inns of Court – Barrister 1993-1997.
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Member 1981-present.
- Bergen County Bar Association – Member 1981-present.
- New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators – Member 1998-2010
Mr. Kaufman serves as a Court-appointed and privately retained mediator and is often selected to mediate difficult or extremely contentious matters. Superior Court Judges and fellow attorneys select Mr. Kaufman, matrimonial law attorney, to arbitrate sensitive family law matters that require an astute understanding of the law. He is committed to providing personal attention to each client and practical solutions in complicated situations.
Reported Matrimonial Law Cases
- Brawer v. Brawer, 329 N.J. Super. 273 (App. Div. 2000), cert. denied 165 N.J. 138 (2000)
- Lecturer for Institute of Continued Legal Education in the area of Family Law.
- Kaufman devotes his practice to family law, including Alternate Dispute Resolution (mediation and arbitration).