Gerald R. Salerno’s practice includes complex civil and commercial litigation, where he has successfully handled several matters resulting in substantial verdicts for his clients
His zoning and land use practice includes the representation of private and public sector clients in all aspects of land use development. The firm’s clients include developers, redevelopers, financial institutions, municipalities and local boards, and other public and private entities seeking land use approvals. Gerald has successfully secured land use approvals for many clients throughout New Jersey, including:
- Klein Outdoor Advertising: multiple billboards
- Bank of America
- Hackensack Investors: 132-unit multi-family residential redevelopment project in Hackensack
- Waypoint Residential: 235-unit multi-family residential redevelopment project in Hackensack
Gerald presently serves as the Bergen County representative to the State Bar Association’s Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee. The New Jersey Supreme Court appointed Gerald to the Committee on Character. He presently serves as the East Rutherford Borough Attorney, the Wood-Ridge Land Use Board Attorney, and Rutherford Planning Board Attorney. He has served as Prosecutor for the Borough of Wood-Ridge and Oradell. He has been the acting Public Defender for the Pascack Joint Municipal Court since 1989 and served as the Zoning Board of Adjustment Attorney for the Borough of Upper Saddle River, 2000–2011. In addition, he has represented the Borough of Lodi as Special Planning Board Counsel in complex zoning and redevelopment matters.
Gerald served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Charles R. DiGisi, Bergen County Superior Court, from 1985 to 1986.
Awards and Recognition
Gerald has been selected by his peers as a New Jersey Super Lawyer* in Civil Litigation, which is issued by Thompson Reuters. This distinction, based upon ethics, experience and reputation, is bestowed upon the top 5% of attorneys in the State. Gerald has also been named as a Best Lawyer in America*, a publication issued by Woodward/White, Inc. He was also awarded the Bergen County Legal Services Pro Bono Award.
Gerald was recognized as the “Face of Leadership in the Law” in (201) Magazine.
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1985
- Seton Hall University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1982
- New Jersey, 1985
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
Gerald is a past President of the Bergen County Bar Association. He currently serves as a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association Judicial & Prosecutorial Appointments Committee. He is Co-Chairman, Municipal Court Practice Committee, New Jersey State and American Bar Associations. He is also a member of The Association of Trial Lawyers of America. Gerald was appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court to its Ethics Character Committee.
- B. v. Poritz, 914 F. Supp. 85 (D.N.J. 1996); E.B. v. Verniero, 119 F.2d.1077 (3rd Cir., 1997); In the Matter of the Adoption of a Child by P.S. and J.S., 315 N.J. Super. 91 (App. Div. 1998)
- State v. Doriguzzi 334 N.J. Super. 530 (App. Div. 2000)
- Torres v. Travelers Indemnity Corp. 171 N.J. 147 (2002)