What Happens if My Ex Violated Our Child Custody Agreement?

Co-parenting requires effective communication, organization, and patience. If you are having difficulty with your co-parent and feel that they are violating your parenting plan, you are most likely concerned about how you should proceed. Please continue reading and speak with our New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about how we can assist you through this difficult time. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What Happens if My Ex Violated Our Child Custody Agreement?

What are some of the most common examples of child custody agreement violations?

There are many different ways in which someone can violate the terms of a child custody agreement. For example:

  • Neglecting to pick up and/or return the child on scheduled dates at scheduled times.
  • Blocking telephone and/or email contact.
  • Scheduling extracurricular activities and appointments during the other parent’s scheduled time.
  • Making disparaging comments about the other parent in front of the child.

What should I do if my co-parent violates our child custody agreement?

Depending on the severity of the violation, in many cases, it may simply be best to try and speak with the other parent to remedy the issue. Mediation is also a great option for resolving these types of disputes. However, if the violation was serious, or you believe that there is no way the other parent will cooperate, you should strongly consider retaining the services of an experienced New Jersey family law attorney who can assist you.

What are the legal remedies for non-compliance by my co-parent?

If you are unable to resolve parenting plan disputes with your co-parent and they have been consistently or severely violating your parenting plan, you have the right to seek legal enforcement. It is imperative that you consult with an attorney who can assist you in the timely filing of an application with the Court. The Court, in its discretion, may order temporary or permanent changes to the parenting plan and/or may impose additional penalties upon the violating parent.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how confusing certain legal issues can be, which is why we are dedicated to providing individuals with the compassionate, knowledgeable legal representation they deserve. Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman has helped clients with various difficult legal challenges for over 40 years, which is why we know we have the experience needed to do the same for you. For experienced legal counsel regarding family law, litigation, business law, real estate, and criminal law, you know where to turn–contact Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman today to schedule a consultation.