Can I Reduce Alimony Payments if I Lose My Job?

Alimony is among the most critical divorce-related issues, and if you recently lost your job and owe alimony payments, you are most likely wondering whether you can obtain an alimony modification. Please continue reading and speak with our Bergen County divorce attorneys to learn more about how we can help you.

How do New Jersey courts determine which spouse makes alimony payments?

New Jersey courts consider many different factors when deciding on a couple’s alimony agreement. One of the most important factors is which spouse was considered to be financially dependent during the course of the marriage. They will also consider both spouses’ earning potential, their child custody agreement, both spouse’s age and health, and more.

Can I change the terms of my alimony agreement if I lost my job?

If you lost your job, there is a chance that you may acquire a modification to your alimony agreement. However, you must prove that you have undergone an unforeseen and continuing change in circumstances. Some examples that may qualify for an alimony modification include losing a job due to a physical or mental disability, being out of work for at least 90 days with proof that you are actively looking for a new job, and more. The courts will also consider whether your former employer offered you a severance package. The bottom line is that you will have to prove that you truly qualify for a modification to your alimony agreement, which is why you must hire a knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorney who has significant experience handling situations of this nature.

What circumstances may not qualify for an alimony modification in New Jersey?

Many different circumstances may not qualify for an alimony modification. For instance, if you lost your job simply because you quit, this is not considered an unforeseen change in circumstances, which means you will most likely not be able to modify your agreement. Additionally, if you lost your job due to committing an act of criminal activity, such as theft, or you lost your job due to an act of gross negligence, there is a very good chance that you may also not obtain a modification to your alimony agreement. If you have any further questions or you think that you may qualify for an alimony modification in New Jersey, please do not hesitate to give our New Jersey divorce attorneys a call today.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how confusing certain legal issues can be, which is why we are dedicated to providing individuals with the compassionate, knowledgeable legal representation they deserve. Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman has helped clients with various difficult legal challenges for over 40 years, which is why we know we have the experience needed to do the same for you. For experienced legal counsel regarding family law, litigation, business law, real estate, and criminal law, you know where to turn–contact Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman today to schedule a consultation.