How Parental Alienation Affects Child Custody Agreements in New Jersey

Oftentimes, child custody is the most important issue in a divorce, as both parents want to play active roles in their child’s life. That being said, unfortunately, there are times where one or both parents can be spiteful during and after a custody battle and try to negatively influence their child’s opinion of the other parent. This is unacceptable, and if you or your child are victims of parental alienation, you should continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about the potential legal options you may have to stop it. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How Parental Alienation Affects Child Custody Agreements in New Jersey

What is parental alienation?

As previously stated, parental alienation is when one parent seeks to sabotage the relationship a child has with his or her other parent. This can happen in many ways, whether it be casual backhanded remarks disparaging the other parent around the child or outright badmouthing them directly to the child. The goal of this behavior is to get a child to favor one parent over the other. Experts agree that this is extremely harmful to a child and the other parent. Children should never be manipulated, especially during a during, which is already a challenging emotional event for any child. If you believe that this is happening to your child, you do have options.

What should I do if my child is a victim of parental alienation?

In many cases, if you believe your child is the victim of parental alienation, you can first try to speak with your former spouse and notify him or her that you noticed the behavior and that it needs to stop immediately. If your former spouse does not listen, or you know that such a conversation would be futile, you should strongly consider speaking with a knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorney who can work to limit the time your spouse has with your child, including seeking to modify to your child custody agreement, if it is already in place. This can be done on the grounds that your former spouse is not acting in your child’s best interests. Our firm is here to help you and your family. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how confusing certain legal issues can be, which is why we are dedicated to providing individuals with the compassionate, knowledgeable legal representation they deserve. Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman has helped clients with various difficult legal challenges for over 40 years, which is why we know we have the experience needed to do the same for you. For experienced legal counsel regarding family law, litigation, business law, real estate, and criminal law, you know where to turn–contact Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman today to schedule a consultation.