Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey | What You Should Know

Divorce is a life-altering decision. Once you get divorced, your life is bound to change significantly in the months and years that follow. For this reason, courts in New Jersey will sometimes allow divorced spouses to request post-judgment modifications to help their initial settlement agreement to more accurately fit their current situation in life. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bergen County family lawyers to learn more about post-judgment modification applications in New Jersey and how we can help you receive one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey | What You Should Know

What are some common types of post-judgment modifications?

There are various circumstances that may warrant a post-judgment modification. Just some of the most common types of post-judgment modifications that our firm sees are as follows:

  • Changes to alimony obligations because one spouse got a promotion/lost their job, got remarried, or has otherwise become financially independent
  • Changes to custody agreements if one parent has either proved him/herself parentally unfit, a custodial parent wishes to move away with a child, or if a child has a significant change in their schedule
  • Changes to child support obligations, such as requesting an extension of child support past the age of emancipation

These are just some of the circumstances that may qualify for a post-judgment modification application, and if you find yourself in any situation where you believe your divorce agreement should be modified, we are here to help.

How do I know if I qualify for a post-judgment modification?

Simply requesting a modification to your initial divorce agreement is not enough to make it happen; you will actually have to prove that you or your child truly requires the modification. To do so, you will have to demonstrate that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances. If the court believes that the change is only temporary, or is only a prospective future change that has not yet happened yet, they may reject your request for a modification. This is why it is always best to proceed with competent Bergen County family lawyers at your side. Our firm has handled countless post-judgment modification cases in the past, and we are here to effectively handle yours as well.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how confusing certain legal issues can be, which is why we are dedicated to providing individuals with the compassionate and knowledgeable legal representation they deserve. Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman has helped clients with various difficult legal challenges for over 40 years. We know we have the experience needed to do the same for you. For experienced legal counsel regarding family law, litigation, business law, real estate, and criminal law, you know where to turn–contact Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman today to schedule a consultation.