Will I Have to Pay Child Support Even if I Don’t Have Visitation Rights With My Child?

If you’re a parent, your top priority is ensuring your child is provided for. That said, when parents get divorced, typically, courts will have to establish parenting time plans, wherein they will determine where the child will primarily live and whether one parent will have visitation rights after the divorce. Often, both parents will be granted legal custody of their child and establish a parenting time plan, such as one parent having the child on the weekends and the other on the weekdays. However, if you were not granted visitation rights, it may feel as though you don’t play a significant role in raising your child, and you may wonder whether you’ll still have to pay child support. Please read on and reach out to a child support lawyer in Bergen County to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Will I Have to Pay Child Support Even if I Don’t Have Visitation Rights With My Child?

Will I still have to pay child support even if I’m not granted visitation?

You should first know that whether you have visitation rights or not is irrelevant when it comes to paying child support; if you are a child’s legally recognized parent, you will have to make regular support payments to contribute to the cost of raising and caring for your child.

What happens when someone stops paying child support?

Child support agreements are legally binding. When someone refuses or neglects to follow these agreements, they can face a wide array of penalties, including wage garnishment, suspension of their license, and others to ensure that regular support payments are made. Therefore, if you have a child support obligation in place, you have to comply with it. Neglecting to do so will only make life more complicated for you, your child, and their other parent.

You should note, however, that should certain unforeseen and significant circumstances arise, the person paying child support may request a post-judgment modification, wherein the court, if granted, would modify, or even terminate altogether, the initial support agreement.

If you have further questions about how child support works in New Jersey and how our legal team can assist you, simply pick up the phone and give us a call so we can start working on your case.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how confusing certain legal issues can be, which is why we are dedicated to providing individuals with the compassionate and knowledgeable legal representation they deserve. Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman has helped clients with various difficult legal challenges for over 40 years. We know we have the experience needed to do the same for you. For experienced legal counsel regarding family law, litigation, business law, real estate, and criminal law, you know where to turn–contact Aronsohn, Weiner, Salerno & Kaufman today to schedule a consultation.